Severance International Fellowship – Prime Course is a pre-training program that aims to expand clinical experience and skills for clinical research and statistics of international scholars. The course will mainly include introductory lectures about the Korean healthcare system, hospital management, and also practice sessions for research projects done in groups or individuals.
The instructors are consisted of professors at Yonsei University College of Medicine, Graduate School of Public Health and other specialists of diverse medical fields, who are professionals in various study fields : global health, health statistics, clinical research methodology, hospital business & management etc.
Even if you meet the above conditions, the training professor or department can limit or disapprove your hands-on practice for patient safety reasons.
Please note that the extension of permission for hands on medical practice may be issued only one time and the total period of extension may not exceed one year including the period for which the approval was originally given.
The government organization must be in charge of issuing your medical license. ex) Ministry of Health, Medical Council. Hospitals run by a government is NOT applicable.
A. Scope of Medical Practice by Trainees
1) A trainee, who is approved for medical practice in Korea under Article 4 and Article 5, shall not perform medical practice by him or herself; a trainee may perform medical practice in a limited scope within a training hospital, with an informed consent from a patient and in presence of a training specialist or a cooperative training specialist designated by the training specialist.
B. Application for Severance Hands-on Practice Authoriztion
1) All physicians who practice medicine at Severance have to apply for the clinical privileges, and receive approval from the General Director of Severance Hospital.
2) The application will be submitted AFTER your hands-on practice is approved by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in Korea.
3) The hands-on practice is ONLY allowed AFTER you get the approval of the General Director of Severance Hospital.
1) MOHW may revoke approval where it falls under any of the followings;
a) Where a trainee received approval by fraud or other unlawful means
b) Where a trainee performed unapproved medical practice or committed an act that is against the rules stipulated in this notification.
c) Where a trainee violated duties and terms of the internal protocol of a training hospital
d) Where a hospital fails to observe duties stipulated in the notification
e) Where a hospital filed an application pursuant to the notification for reasons other than training