[International Office] Interview with Dr. Daniel Wilfredo Banegas Carrasco
1) Please introduce yourself.
I’m Daniel Wilfredo Banegas Carrasco, 28 years old, I was born in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. My family consists of my father, Wilfredo, my mother, Lilibeth and I have two siblings, my older sister, Isi, and my younger brother, Gabriel. Also, my future wife, Scarlet.
2) Where is your working place back in your country and what is your specialty?
I work as a Dental Surgeon at Dentis Clinica Integral and Clinica Dental Trinidad.
3) How did you get to know Severance? Why did you choose Severance as your training hospital?
I was introduced to Severance Hospital by my mentor and friend, Korean American Missionary, Dr. Chan Hyeok Jeon, who’s been serving in Honduras for the last 13 years. Dr. Jeon as a Yonsei University graduate himself invited me to participate in the Avison International Fellowship program and shared with me the history of how this hospital was founded, without a doubt, I was more than willing to apply.
4) How long is your training period in Korea?
My training period in Korea is for 1 year.
5) Which area did you focus on during your fellowship at Severance?
I’m training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, I had the opportunity to rotate between the two areas offered by the department which are Oral Cancer & Reconstruction, and Dentofacial Deformity.
6) What is the most impressive feature of Severance Hospital?
I’m genuinely impressed by the amazing human resources Severance Hospital has because even though it is one of the most technological and advanced hospitals in the world, all the people who work at Severance are giving all the dedication humanly possible to move along with the workflow and demand, as well as their academical and professional capacity. I believe without their dedication and mindset; it would be impossible to be one of the best hospitals in the world.
7) What are the specific contents of your fellowship program at Severance?
My training program covers:
1. Diagnosis and treatment of Dentofacial Deformity such as orthognathic surgery and cleft lip and palate surgery.
2. Basic implant surgery, bone grafting techniques, and sinus lift surgery.
3. Treatment in oral and maxillofacial surgery such as facial trauma, salivary gland disease, and temporomandibular joint disease.
4. Oral Cancer and Reconstructive Surgery
8) If you were to get the chance to come back, which field of clinical study would you like to focus on?
If I have the opportunity to come back, I will be again in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
9) Who are you most thankful for at Severance(who helped you the most) & why?
I’m very grateful to many people, but I’m deeply grateful to Professor Dong-Wook Kim for his time and dedication during my time in Severance. I have to thank all my professors who opened the doors to me, Chairman Prof. Woong Nam, Prof. Hyung Jun Kim, Prof. Jin Hoo Park, Prof. Jun-Young Kim, Dental Hospital Director Prof. Young-Soo Jung, Emeritus Prof. Hyung-Sik Park and College of Dentistry Dean Prof. Kee Joon Lee. Also, I'm very grateful with all my heart to the fellows, residents, interns, dental hygienists, nurses, and hospital staff who were always polite, kind, and willing to help me. Last but not least I’m thankful to the Medical Mission Center team, and director, Dr. Chin Yong Pak.
10) What was your first impression of Korea?
When I got off the plane all I could say was “WOW!”. I was so impressed by the technology, the transportation system, how organized, safe, and clean everything is, and the food is very delicious.
11) What is the best memory so far during your stay here?
During my time in Korea, I’ve had so many memories, I’ve built relationships, I’ve made so many friends, and learned so much. I will carry all these memories once I return to my country. But the most beautiful memories were to be visited at the hospital by Dr. Chan Hyeok Jeon and Dr. Eunice Park, I’m very thankful to them and their dedication to my country. My heart was so happy when I met them this time, not in Honduras, but in Korea.
"If file name is long, file name can be cut due to browser characteristics."