Severance International Fellowship (SIF) is open to foreign physicians, dentists, nurses, medical technicians, or hospital administrators who wish to experience clinical care, operative procedures, and participate in research activities at Severance Hospital(Sinchon) Seoul, Korea. This program builds on the hospital’s long legacy and mission to educate future clinical leaders in healthcare and ultimately reducing health inequalities in the global society.
Identify various disorders that occur after a stroke through diverse treatment methods, restore impaired functions and improve quality of life, return patients to the society, minimize possible complications, and prevent recurrence.
- Evaluation and treatment : Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, daily life training, sensory integration therapy, swallowing rehabilitation therapy, cognitive rehabilitation therapy, brain stimulation therapy, botulinum toxin injection therapy, electric stimulation therapy, hydrotherapy, robotic rehabilitation therapy, Electromyographic biofeedback, psychotherapy
- Special clinic : Cognitive rehabilitation clinic, brain stimulation clinic, dysphagia clinic
<Acquired Brain Injury Rehabilitation>
Perform a comprehensive evaluation not only of physical function, but also of cognitive function, behavioral disorder and social function for patients with traumatic, hypoxic brain injury, and degenerative brain disease. Based on this, we provide customized treatment for patients. In addition, we provide education for early diagnosis, treatment and prevention of complications such as convulsions, bedsores and aspiration pneumonia.
- Evaluation and treatment : Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, cognitive rehabilitation therapy, daily life training, sensory integration therapy, snoezelen, swallowing rehabilitation therapy, electric stimulation therapy, hydrotherapy, robotic rehabilitation therapy, electromyographic biofeedback, psychotherapy
- Special clinic : Cognitive rehabilitation clinic, walking rehabilitation clinic
<Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation>
The Spinal Cord Injury Clinic aims to provide rehabilitation programs to improve function, educate patients and caregivers to understand modified physiology and prevent complications, and maintain the paralyzed body in an ideal state through accurate diagnosis and diverse treatment methods.
- Evaluation and treatment : Electromyography electrodiagnosis, urodynamic test, wheelchair measurement and inspection, bedsore treatment and management, brace prescription, neurogenic bladder & bowel management, rehabilitation therapy, exercise therapy, robotic rehabilitation therapy, functional electrical stimulation treatment, electromyographic biofeedback, psychotherapy
Prescribe prostheses, provide rehabilitation programs to promote function through application and training, so that patients can return to work and society.
- Treatment : Prostheses prescription and training
<Pediatric Rehabilitation Clinic>
We provide diagnosis, comprehensive rehabilitation treatment and education for children with cerebral palsy, developmental delay, and various neuromuscular disorders. In addition, we conduct regular neurodevelopmental evaluation in high-risk newborns to provide early diagnosis and early rehabilitation for developmental abnormalities.
- Evaluation and treatment : Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, daily life training, sensory integration therapy, snoezelen, swallowing rehabilitation therapy, electric stimulation therapy, hydrotherapy, robotic rehabilitation therapy, electromyographic diagnosis, chemoneurolysis for spasticity, ultrasonography, orthotic management
- Special clinic : Posture assisting clinic, congenital muscular torticollis clinic, spasticity clinic
<Adult cerebral palsy>
Cerebral palsy is a disorder in childhood where movement or posture is impaired by non-progressive brain lesions, but bone deformity may occur due to abnormal muscle tension in adulthood, and spinal deformity may also occur, ultimately leading to spinal cord damage and paralysis. Therefore, even in adulthood, early diagnosis and treatment is needed before such paralysis occurs. In adult cerebral palsy clinics, when muscle tension increases or muscle strength in the limbs is weakened, the cause is investigated through detailed examination, and appropriate treatment is performed as follows.
- Neurosurgery spinal part : Surgical treatment for spinal deformity and spinal cord damage
Neurosurgery Baclofen Pump Clinic : Treatment for severe spasticity and dystonia
Pediatric orthopedics : Surgical treatment for deformation of limb muscles and bones
Afterwards, through personalized rehabilitation treatment, patients can restore weakened muscle strength, control muscle tension, and learn exercise methods.
<Musculoskeletal Pain Rehabilitation>
After diagnosing the causes of various musculoskeletal pains through examination and checkup, we implement patient education programs such as appropriate drug treatment, injection therapy, physical therapy, and exercise therapy for effective treatment and prevention of recurrence. Electromyography is performed to diagnose pain developed by various causes, proximal muscle weakness, and sensory abnormalities, and accurate diagnosis and treatment are carried out through musculoskeletal ultrasound.
- Evaluation and treatment : Injection therapy, extracorporeal shock wave therapy,
physical therapy, occupational therapy, electric stimulation therapy, hydrotherapy
- Special clinic : Musculoskeletal ultrasound clinic, extracorporeal shock wave clinic, manual therapy clinic, sports rehabilitation clinic
We aim to prevent and diagnose disorders of the central nervous system, digestive system, and musculoskeletal system that develop in various cancer treatment processes or cancer survivors, and through comprehensive rehabilitation treatment, increase functional independence, minimize pain, and ultimately improve the quality of life.
- Evaluation and treatment : Electromyography electrodiagnosis, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, daily life training, swallowing rehabilitation therapy, electric stimulation therapy, hydrotherapy, robotic rehabilitation therapy, musculoskeletal ultrasound, extracorporeal shock wave therapy
- Special clinic : Brain tumor rehabilitation clinic, lymphedema clinic, cancer rehabilitation exercise clinic
All participants of our SIF program will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the training. The certificate will be issued by the President & CEO of Yonsei University Health System.
Severance Academy operates various SNS or online communities, where you can communicate freely with other international trainees who were in Severance before or will be training soon. You can get help from other physicians or medical staffs before you come to Korea and get some useful tips including their training experience, accommodations, good restaurants near the hospital etc. We will also update the newest news of Severance regularly at this homepage. Severance Academy will also host offline gatherings exclusive for international trainees, or invite you to official events hosted by Severance Hospital or governement institutions.